Tuesday 19 April 2011

The Working Women



Please excuse the awful music…


This video is interesting to me for a number of reasons. First of all, the fact that there is an “International Women’s Day” dedicated to recognizing that women can work can be a little problematic. Why was there ever a time when we couldn’t? But that is a discussion for another day.

Regardless, this video does what a cartoon video can in four and a half minutes. It recognizes that women can, and do, work. Historically the majority of work done by women was in the home, either homemaking, or working as domestic servants, there was not a lot of work available to women in other fields. Weird concept for me to wrap my head around, as my mother owns a contracting company, but unfortunately this is the reality. Even now that more women are becoming professors, doctors and CEO’s, sexism still occurs in the workplace.  Take a look at this article. Three fourths less? Are you joking me? How about women get paid more, we are the ones that do laundry, cook and clean, right? Oh wait, I guess that doesn't count as work. Thank you society. 

Women are being paid less to do the same jobs as men. What about this makes sense? To me, nothing. It infuriates me that a female that holds the same position as a man brings home less dough. What also infuriates me is the confused looks I get when people learn my mother not my father own the contracting company. “Are you sure?” “Yes I’m f*%&ing sure!”
Our society is definitely making progress in terms of welcoming women into the workplace, but common, how come we weren’t always welcome? Being the double sided sword it is, my inner feminism still doesn’t understand why we were ever excluded. I have a hard time praising progress that should have been made a long, long time ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment